Pages

Monday, August 20, 2012

Render update



Another lighting/render test!


Also restructured my network and guess what? It now runs at least 10 times faster! Previously, what my network was doing was building geometry every frame based on the simmed wires. I restructured the network to construct the tentacles and oral arms and using wire capture and deformers to transfer the wire sim data to the geometry. A problem I faced here was capturing all the tentacle geometry as they might cross over into another tentacle's capture region and mess up. to work around this, I gave each tentacle a group using the connectivity and partition combo and did a foreach based on that.

Another problem I faced was having the wire sim in my asset and running in a foreach. This caused problems with my wire sim because it was iterating through my asset at each frame and overwriting the values of the jellyfish in the list before it. So the sim data from jellyfish 2 is overwriting the data from jellyfish 1, and it messed up the simulation, big time. So I had to do a workaround where I ran only the head in the foreach, and used the output to drive the tentacle and oral arm part of the network. And it seems to be working pretty well, since I'm nearing the end of my project and would spend the time more wisely by working on lighting than reworking the way the tentacles are simmed.

No comments:

Post a Comment